How to submit a MUD?

More
28 Feb 2019 22:36 #141 by aldie
Replied by aldie on topic How to submit a MUD?
Hi there, could you also allow me to add Aldebaran on aldebaran-mud.de Port 2000 ? I'd like to try accessing our mud through the portal app.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2019 22:59 #142 by plamzi
Replied by plamzi on topic How to submit a MUD?
You don't have to have a listing to access the mud via the portal app:

www.mudportal.com/embed.html

But you can submit a listing now.

More
07 Mar 2019 23:51 #143 by aldie
Well, thank you.

I now realized I totally misunderstood the whole concept of this site, I was desperately looking for some dialogue allowing me to enter the login information of a game to connect to it. Then I thought I need to add a listing to select it from a drop down list and maybe manipulate some settings (like mxp on/off) of the
client application (btw maybe it should be possible to open such a settings window from the app).. again.. I was wrong.
I kinda stand there with an egg on my face.

I honestly don't need the game admin status.

I was actually checking how I could make our game work with your portal app, as it totally screw up when an access was attempted. I found a way that our game can adopt to the connector app and is now playable, though I had to disable a bunch of features for these connections. I think there are some real issues with the terminal emulation. I guess I'll post them in a better fitting group, possibly github (though I'd probably need to setup an account)

Best regards,
Freshman

More
09 Mar 2019 17:21 #144 by plamzi
I'm not surprised you're seeing issues with the terminal emulation. There is none.

The closest thing to a terminal is the web app module called ScrollView, documented here: www.mudportal.com/forum/api-documentation/39-api-scrollview

You'll notice it's all web-based, with only the minimal communication bridge between telnet socket data and websocket data. So if your game makes any assumptions about client cursor position, e. g., that's not going to work.

The ScrollView was coded with some of the most popular MUDs as the test bed. Beyond that, I make no claims about support.

More
24 Mar 2019 09:43 #145 by aldie
Hi, I dont't want to appear ungrateful. I'm very grateful for what there is
already and I consider embedding the portal into our homepage.

But I wasn't referring to cursor control which is only a part of terminal
emulation and does not equal it. I'd assume that it is not much used
in muds, and even in ours there are less then 10 of thousands of rooms that
can use it; it's more like a tech demo. Handling of colour controls or
text attributes or line characters is much more critical. But I detailed
that in other posts in the forum already.

The real issue is, that by stating it can do xterm-256col mudportal claims
it virtually has one of the most elaborate terminal emulations ever made
including complex cursor and mouse control. I assume that it was meant
to show that the 256 ANSI colour extension can be used.. but this is not
what the use of the TTYPE telnet opion means, it means that all xterm control
codes are available, not just some (which you need to find by guessing).

IMHO, this is in strong contradiction to the telnet protocol.. admittedly,
I might have been more precise there. Nevertheless the interpretation
of ANSI colour codes is also not compatible with their common usage.

But again, please don't see this as an ungrateful complain. It's a great
tool as it is already.

More
11 Apr 2019 11:45 #146 by Araska
Replied by Araska on topic How to submit a MUD?
Can I get permission to add astariamud.com on port 5000 please? I know I can just link it, but it'd be nice to have it show up on the drop-down.

More
12 Apr 2019 03:19 #147 by plamzi
Promoted you to game admin.

More
08 Jun 2019 17:29 #148 by aldie
Me again, sorry another question.

I added a tiny Aldebaran-Init.js script to check if/how I can customize the portal. It shall apply to all aliases mud.tap.de, aldebaran-mud.de etc..
All this works, as long as I am logged into the portal. I now published it to official, but since then I can no longer change the publication status and
it still only applies to me when logged into the portal, but not anyone.

I assume you need to acknowledge the submission, Plamzi?

Or did I make something wrong, missing rights maybe?

The customization itself is rather unimportant, but I'd need to know, if it would work to customize the portal.

Thank you in advance,
Freshman.

More
08 Jun 2019 21:16 #149 by plamzi
There's a final step to allow your user's official scripts to appear for everyone, but it's a one-time link. You should be able to post other files now and they'll appear automatically.

You should have been able to un-publish your own script from Official. I changed a permission that may have been the cause for that block, so try again and let me know.

More
09 Jun 2019 13:14 #150 by aldie
Hi,
yes, I can now set the script to private again, switch back and forth between private/official. Thank you for that.
When accessing the page, browser log also shows loading private script or loading official script accordingly.
However, when I log off, or use a different browser, no script is loaded. I tried various metadata formats, one entry only or a list of aliases,
official, public.. combinations of tags, marking it as featured.. does not help.
BTW, once set to public, I could not change it back again. I made a copy (was private again) and deleted the public one.

You mention a final click being required... I'm sorry, I do not see where.
Can you clarify?

I also use various browsers, firefox (my main one), edge, chrome.. all the same. I'm not sure if I have a chance to debug this through jquery.
Basically, when I'm not logged in - I think that means Guest access - as any player using the portal/deep link is going to have, my init script is not triggered.

Best regards,
Freshman.

More
09 Jun 2019 16:56 - 09 Jun 2019 22:43 #151 by plamzi
I could not reproduce an issue seeing your official script as a mudportal guest in either Chrome or Firefox. Screenshot attached.

You can add the parameter &debug=1 to see verbose console log messages like the ones in my screenshot:

www.mudportal.com/play?host=aldebaran-mud.de&port=2000&debug=1

The final step I mentioned was I had to link your username specifically to the server at aldebaran-mud.de:2000 for your Official scripts to show up for everyone.
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jun 2019 22:43 by plamzi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aldie

More
09 Jun 2019 23:47 - 09 Jun 2019 23:50 #152 by aldie
Yep, now it works. Thank you. (maybe I just forgot to check the aldebaran-mud.de DNS hostname, I usually use an alias)
I also noticed a profile entry is now showing up in the game center.

Hmm, players use a bunch of DNS aliases, is there a way to link hostnames mud.tap.de and aldebaran.mud.de as well?

Just asking, I already changed the external mud listings (which deep link into mudportal) to the aldebaran-mud.de name, it's just someone (including me) might be used to a shorter/other name and try to use it.

And, Thank you again, that will allow me to greatly enhance player experience, even when my additions won't make it into the core codebase.
I will now focus on the mxp module, if I get some significant benefit, I'll pack it together with the colorize changes into an official addon for my mud. Of course, I'll be happy if someone else has a use for it too.. it was never my intention to code a specific Aldebaran client.

Freshman.
Last edit: 09 Jun 2019 23:50 by aldie. Reason: typo, added a remark