Scrollview starting position

More
27 Aug 2014 21:35 #1 by Angie
Scrollview starting position was created by Angie
Is there a way to configure this, other than going with nocore? I'd like to have a little more room at the top, above the client window.

Also, any advice on how to position other windows relative to the scrollview? (Ideally, I'd love to have them snap onto the scrollview edges, so that they can be moved together, but I'll settle for drawing them next to it at startup.)

Angie @ Midnight Sun 2
Alayla @ God Wars 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2014 03:10 #2 by plamzi
Replied by plamzi on topic Scrollview starting position
Hi,

The following API articles have been updated:

www.mudportal.com/forum/api-documentation/29-api-config#283
www.mudportal.com/forum/api-documentation/31-window-api#285

Note the addition of the "top" and "left" parameters to control the default position of the ScrollView for guest users. Default positioning of additional windows can be modified using their css option.

The new default behavior of the ScrollView is now to cause other windows to follow it when the user drags it. This behavior can be overridden with notrack = 1. Windows already snap to each other and to the edge of the browser window.

You now also have the option to pass nodrag=1 and freeze all app windows in their default place for all users. I would advise against that. My philosophy is to not try and guess what will look / feel best to the end user. I like that windows can always be moved around and resized independently to make the best use of one's screen real estate. For authenticated app users, window positions for each game (and for each device) will be saved automatically. Users would be missing out on all this flexibility if you freeze the windows, but of course the benefit is that you can shoot for a consistent look / experience.

For more advanced customizations, you now also have the option to pass nodrag: 1 when you're initializing a module. Then you can assign your own draggable behavior to its window as per api.jqueryui.com/draggable/#event-drag .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Angie

More
28 Aug 2014 22:47 #3 by Angie
Replied by Angie on topic Scrollview starting position
Thanks!
After some playing around with it, I'm wondering if it would be possible (and desirable?) to also have the slave windows follow when a master is resized?

Angie @ Midnight Sun 2
Alayla @ God Wars 2

More
30 Aug 2014 14:24 #4 by plamzi
Replied by plamzi on topic Scrollview starting position
It's probably desirable, but it will be too much code for not much gain. Bottom line is people are not going to resize the scrollview all the time, and if they do, they can then move any windows they want re-glued.

More
30 Aug 2014 19:44 #5 by Angie
Replied by Angie on topic Scrollview starting position
Fair enough. :)

Angie @ Midnight Sun 2
Alayla @ God Wars 2